Monday, June 25, 2012

Transportation

My life revolves around public transportation. And it is flawless. 

Walking. At least three times a week I walk to Wellcome, the "grocery store". It is across the street from my building. I am incredibly fortunate to live in a location within walking distance to a grocery store. 


It is about the size of a 7-11 and magically seems to have whatever I need. 


I have to explain a little bit about Wellcome. The amount of people in line is not indicative of how long your wait will be. On average you have to double the length of time for every person because the majority of the people in line have to pay for groceries for their employer and then they have their own few items rang up separately. I'm learning patience.


The cashiers are focused, no chit chatting.


You need to bring your own sack, which can limit what you want to buy each time if you only take a small sack; hence, my frequent trips. This trip I paid with cash, most times I use my Octopus Card, a beautifully planned card that you put money on as needed to pay for public transportation, and it is accepted in many stores.



Next comes the taxi. David and I usually don't take a taxi unless we're running late (church). There is a sign on the street outside of our building that the doorman lights up when a taxi is needed. Convenient.


A primary reason I chose the building we are living in, besides location, is because of the shuttle (insert angels singing and a few "amens"). I love this bus. 


It comes every ten minutes and takes you to "Central". Everything is in central. Good restaurants, hair dressers, tailors, dry cleaners, American club, shopping, and most importantly, the hub where all transportation lines cross: buses, trolleys, trains, and shuttles. When meeting people coming from other places, it is almost always at "Central". 


Getting on my shuttle bus and into my elevator in my building requires my building card. 


After the shuttle takes me to Central I then take the MTR if I want to go to Kowloon or other areas that take too long, or are too hot to walk to. Think subway...but not NYC subway, more like England subway: efficient, clean, organized, and not a minute late. I love it. There are many entrances from the street (always look for the red and white symbol)


You enter the MTR via your octopus card. The card is again swiped once you get to your destination; your card is then deducted based on your round trip. Brilliant.


Although the MTR is perfectly organized, I have to admit that I'm still learning all the names of the lines: "Sheung Wan" (blue line on the Hong Kong side where we live and where the church is). "Tsuen Wan" (red line that goes to Kowloon where David works and where the temple is). Actually you have to get off of the red line and get on the green line to the temple. You get the idea.



You then get off the MTR and decide which gate will take you closest to your final destination...which you will walk to.


The main road in Central is "Queens Road". Depending on what store I need to go to (or favorite pizza place), I end up at the opposite end of Queens where my shuttle dropped me off. Therefore, I'm left to walk home uphill. BUT, the steepest of hills are equipped with Escalators. That's right. Outside escalators. Could it get better?





And then I walk about a half to a mile walk home.


Even on the MTR, shuttle, and escalators, there is A LOT of walking. My friend Kim and I schedule weekly Thai foot massages. Her face says it all.





After our massage, I walk back to the MTR and take the shuttle home of course. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment