Sunday, June 10, 2012

Exercise in Hong Kong

We Americans put a great deal of emphasis on exercising. We have trainers, we pay big money for specialized classes, buy expensive equipment and strive to look our best. Exercising is different here in Hong Kong. David and I hike Victoria Peak (google it, it's amazing) each morning. David leaves at 5:30 and I take off for my hike when he gets back at 6:30. We both pass the "regulars" each morning. On my hike I pass "swimsuit man". He's in his sixties, walks in flip flops, board shorts (same pair each day), and no shirt. I also pass "calf walker", she walks on her tiptoes the entire incline. There is "the couple" that walk side by side, the "chatterbox" that seems to know everyone on the trail and talks very loudly, the "iron woman" that runs laps around everyone, and the list goes on. They are all inspirational. 

The majority of the attire is simple everyday wear that you know little to no thought is put into it each morning. No Nike, Athleta, or lululemon specialty clothing. Don't get me wrong, not everyone is in board shorts, there are several who care about the newest Nike shoe, but for the most part they want to be outside and take advantage of the natural beauty that provides good health.

What I see as a children's monkey bars...

they see as a piece of equipment to help them stretch and gain muscle (this is the "silver fox", he's at least in his late 70's and is as lean as a 30 year old).


I see an amazing tree with exposed roots and beautiful hanging branches


and this woman sees it as something to reach for to gain flexibility in her arms.


I love watching the beautiful movements of Tai Chi. I will learn this.






 Always stretching



Fantastic shape

And when I want to sleep in, I think of "Slim Jim" and I get up.




1 comment:

  1. You are hilarious! I can't believe you actually took pictures of all these people! The one guy looks like he caught you taking it! Total people watching over there-talk about a different culture. Good motivation though. Ever wonder what your nickname is? Power walker?

    ReplyDelete