Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The big move

The first thing I noticed about the Asian culture is their customer service. It is far superior to any other country I've been to. Our flight on Cathay Pacific was amazing. It always is. The flight attendants are extremely kind and accommodating.


And our moving crew in Hong Kong did their work in half the time than the company in the states, with great attitudes and professionalism. Who wouldn't with the name they have to live up to?


The move was really effortless. You couldn't tell by the look on David's face.


And did I mention that David had shoulder surgery just weeks before our move? What a stud! This guy never complains, doesn't draw attention to himself, just digs in and gets things done. He was back to work after just four days. Crazy. His shoulder has not healed yet.... he may be regretting the limited recoup time.


Here are a few pictures of the views we enjoy from our building. I guess the closest comparison to urban living here in Hong Kong would be New York. But it's more like NY on steroids. Population of Hong Kong is 7mil+ and they all have to live somewhere. Hong Kong is perfectly planned to accommodate people and business. Amazing to me. We live in the "mid-levels". The name is due to the location between Victoria Peak and the Harbor. We have an incredible view of the skyline and ocean from our front windows and beautiful view of Victoria Peak from our back windows. It's been overcast so I haven't been able to get a clear view against the blue sky from our balcony. 


Here is a view at night looking across the harbor toward Kowloon (the side of the island where David works)

Backyard view


Our building is beautiful with amazing accommodations that we feel fortunate to indulge in.












I love my door man Anthony! He is the happiest man. He greets me everyday, letting me into the elevator that takes me "home"to the 33rd floor. The picture was blurry, but this is Anthony with my realtor Pricilla. 

Home sweet home


This is the temple (that you really can't see) that is in the middle of a residential neighborhood. But like all temples, once inside, the feeling is quiet, calm, and peaceful.


Our church is in a busy part of the city on the corner (much like in NY). We are in the Victoria Branch


The following are pictures from my daily hike up Victoria Peak. The hike fuels my soul.






And my last entry: Things I've learned while living in Hong Kong:


1. You can burp, talk with your mouth full of food, chew with your mouth open or spit your food out, but heaven forbid you use a toothpick without covering your mouth. (I dropped my food right after the picture was taken....I'm not good with chopsticks yet).


2. There is no private space. Who is this man sitting next to David? No idea, but you sit right next to each other at the same table when you eat out.



3. You'll need several different shoes so you can alternate the wear on your multiple blisters you get from walking. And bruises (check out right side of foot). And you'll need a pair that is waterproof. First stop while walking: CROC'S store. Who knew they sold flip flops?




4. Which leads to number three: NEVER leave home without an umbrella!

5. Carry a waterproof purse large enough to carry an extra set of shoes.

6. Ask what kind of water you are ordering before your meal. I declined the mineral or sparkling water, asking for "just tap water". The waitress said all their water was hot but she had normal drinking water in a bottle. Fine. Bill came and a glass of water cost $10. I had two.

7. Humidity is a killer. Pack water wherever you go, for the above mentioned reason, but also because you sweat out as fast as you can take it in. 

8.  A common breakfast consists of fish and salads. No wonder the people in Asia are thin. Walking everywhere and a low fat diet. Hmmmm

9. Men DO NOT open doors for ladies or offer up there seat while riding any public transportation. In fact, I've seen a few subtle elbow throws while I've been here. I know I'm going to get in a fight before I move from here.

10.  Your ears pop constantly here. Mine pop twice in the elevator as I head up 33 floors. Up, down, up down.

11. No sooner than something is dropped, a street worker is cleaning it up. The city is over populated and has bad air quality, BUT it is clean.

12. Contributing to the bad air quality: A gazillion people smoke.

13. Asian women have the most beautiful skin I have ever seen (mostly men smoke).

14. People wait in line to get in the stores on the weekends to shop: Channel, Dior, Hermes, Jimmy Choo, etc. People from the mainland come and buy arm loads of merchandise. Shopping is a sport here.

15. No building is built without access to a mall.

16. Stairs are built for size 5 shoes.

17. Back to shopping. Store windows are insanely artistic and creative (I have an individual post coming soon), but here's a sneak preview:



18. Some of the best chocolate milk I've had. I drink it daily.

19. My hair is a fuzz bomb when I'm outside and at the end of the day. The humidity is insane and I look like I have a fro. Frizz-Ease DOES NOT work. You sweat out of every pore on your body.

20. Hong Kong is the most exciting, beautiful, well organized, interesting city I've been to. The people are wonderful (except for the pushy men) and the layout of an island this size is nothing less than incredible. You will be walking in the concrete jungle and right before your eyes a breathtaking park pops up. Urban planning to perfection. 


Free zoo in the middle of city (more pictures later)




I'm liking it here.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Brenda.....loving reading your blog. I want to come there and see this beautiful place. I am so impressed with your blog skills! Way to go!!!! Love ya girl.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! thanks for the blog updates! i never could have imagined anything so spectacular! Pretty amazing for a girl from Tooele!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's it - we're coming to visit!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving it to. I can't wait to visit. Looks like I need to plan at least 2 weeks to get all the sights in plus visit Thailand. Can't wait for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOLD... I am saving my pennies to visit HK.

    And how is it that I haven't known about this blog until now? Good thing I am an excellent blog stalker. Miss you guys. San Diego just isn't the same without any Smarts

    ReplyDelete