Monday, June 4, 2012

Life interrupted

I received an email from a dear friend back in Tooele that broke the news to me that a person very close to my heart had died from a sudden heart attack. He was only 58. My heart is heavy.

I went on my morning hike here in Hong Kong and my thoughts drifted back 38 years ago. The time in my life when this person changed me for the better. I believe he was the first person I dated that showed true unconditional love, tolerance, patience and acceptance of my immature and searching sense of self. He taught me that I was worthy of being loved regardless of my insecure and obnoxious personality in my teenage years. He paved the way for what was to follow after our dating years.

He bought me my first set of scriptures. They were white. I loved them. He set the example of caring and kindness without words. He treated everyone fairly and helped others feel loved and accepted.

When I was a little girl I thought that I knew the type of person I wanted to marry, but Heavenly Father had a different plan for me, someone much better than I thought I deserved. And part of this plan was dating a person that would set the example and help prepare me for the man I was to marry. My dear friend helped me see the importance of Christlike characteristics and attributes that are needed in a marriage. He was a beautiful example of living a Christlike life.

I had a dream about him the day he died, nothing significant, just sweet. And yesterday, before I heard the news of his death, I had a thought go through my mind, "thank you for teaching me that I was worthy of being loved". His example prepared me for the man I am now married to and the eternal family I have.

Thank you Lee


1 comment: